Tuesday, October 15, 2013
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
Saturday, April 14, 2012
I chose daffodil, turquoise and aubergine for my colors and since our geography is so unique in that we have the giant saguaro cactus as one of our desert icons. Had to use it! So I used our mountains as the background pulling in the aubergine (fancy name for dark purple), the turquoise is the cactus and daffodil, the gorgeous sunsets we enjoy so much in the Sonoron Desert.
This was a fun challenge because of it's limits and I enjoyed making this 12 x14" piece for my entry.
Saturday, February 18, 2012
The keeper opens up to about 27" long by 14" wide. There are handles at the top and two ties at each side which will keep the blocks being carried in place. This was a fun project and I ended up winning a prize when Kim, Project Quilting's Mom, drew names. Well worth the effort! Plus this will be for sale at our annual Christmas Boutique for Charity this December.
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
here/) I offered a one to one trade of a spring themed mug rug. This one is going to Constance in CA. It turned out so nice and I literally put it together with scraps and very little time. I had some of the background patchwork already sewn together and was left over from another project. I just added a few moore scraps to bring it up to our 7x10" size requirement. I sketched a tulip and then used that pattern for three spring-y flowers, added leaves and fused them to the patchwork base. I straggle-stitched around the whole thing, outlining each element 2 or 3 times. Love this so-casual look! It's great for those who don't want to 'stay in the lines'! Plus it gives the flowers and leaves some added depth and definition. Enjoy, Constance!
Monday, January 30, 2012
This is the coloring page that I found out there online and used it as a model for Project Quilting's Season 3, Challenge #2 (here). The theme was making music. Since we've just come from enjoying The Christmas Season, I thought it would be nice to take on the challenge of interpreting a song title into a quilted piece, which is what PQ is all about (named so after years of watching Project Runway and enjoying it).
Here is what the process looked like halfway through. I did not want to reverse the image so using fusibles was not going to work, plus our scanner was not cooperating so mirror imaging wasn't available to me. So I numbered all the pieces like the straw that the Baby is lying upon and cut them accordingly from different straw colored fabrics, likewise doing the same thing with the remainder of the characters and images. I laid them all out, one of top of another and began to spot glue them in order to hold the applique together.
I found the perfect batik background and placed them upon it. While thinking that the applique would be the finished product, it was our daughter, Katy who suggested that I use jewel-toned batiks for the outside pieces of stained glass. I was just going to bind the inside of the piece as is, but the point at the top makes it hard to hang, so her suggested was a very good one. I began to loosly follow the outside stained glass from the coloring page and cut various colors of fabric and laid them around the inset, halo fashion. I then glued them to each other and, after pinning well in each section, satin-stitched around each one with a wide black stitch, mimicking the leading that finishes each stained glass piece.
Here is my resulting piece. I am very pleased with the way it turned out and while I did not win a prize in the drawing at the end, I will enjoy this piece in our home during Christmas 2012, and then perhaps offer it for sale at our charity boutique the following year.
It is a14 x 16" rectangle without having to spend any money making it at all! These are all pieces from my stash and a wonderful way to use them up!